“How will I pay for it?” That’s the most common question I am asked when I suggest to people that they, too, can enjoy a vagabond lifestyle. You can use your mind or physical skills.
I don’t want to pretend that I know what will work for everyone…or anyone. I know what works for me. I created Vagabond Marketing to afford me my vagabond lifestyle. However, I did some research when I was looking to transition to a more mobile lifestyle. Here are some ideas that might stimulate your creative juices…be sure that you are enthused and passionate about whatever you choose:
- Live off of your savings (trust fund, anyone?)
- Sell all of your belongings and live off of the proceeds
- Write (travel articles, blog)
- Tour escort (work for agency or freelance, professional group travel organizer)
- Cruise ship jobs (sky’s the limit…show customers a good time)
- Capture images (photography, video)
- Temporary, seasonal jobs (Christmas tree lot, Pumpkin patch, fruit, lifeguard)
- Sell products (crafts, at the flea market, on eBay)
- Sell services (babysitting, nanny, cooking, nursing, web design, consulting)
- Offer (seminars, classes, web design)
- Make money online (affiliate marketing, Google Adsense, Amazon associate)
- Multi-level marketing (products, services)
- Freelancing (offer your services…the sky’s the limit)
- Teach (English, Art, Yoga, Fitness, Cooking)
- Build (websites, homes)
- Repair (RV’s, computers, small appliances)
- Trade services (art, reiki, tarot, massage)
- Start a business (offer a service or skill…again, the sky’s the limit)
Here are two sites that provide you with job postings. Many are in the hospitality industry but there are jobs available in other areas as well. You can find part-time or full-time, short-term or long-term. There’s something for everyone.
Workampers are adventurous individuals, couples and families who have chosen a wonderful lifestyle that combines ANY kind of part-time or full-time work with RV camping. If you work as an employee, operate a business, or donate your time as a volunteer, AND you sleep in an RV (or on-site housing), you are a Workamper!
Cool Works is about you finding a seasonal job or career in some of the greatest places on Earth. Cool Works can show you the way to live out your own amazing life adventure!
Here’s a third option for those interested in volunteering and receiving food and accommodations while learning about organic lifestyles.
World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms is an information exchange for volunteer workers and the organic WWOOF host farms who offer a learning and working opportunity. They link volunteers with organic farmers, and help people share more sustainable ways of living. In return for volunteer help, WWOOF hosts offer food, accommodation and opportunities to learn about organic lifestyles.
Let me know if you have other ideas. I’m in the learning phase, too. Share your stories and thoughts in the comments below.